Wednesday, May 9, 2007

I’m an Addict



It’s been a day since my last hit. I’m feeling moody and depressed without it. Oh! Sweet sweet crystalline I miss you so very much. The last time I had my sugar high was when I brought back home 8 cupcakes from the pot-luck. I gorge on 7 of them within 2 days; Yes, I’m a sugar addict or also known as a sufferer of Sweet Tooth Syndrome. Hence, I’m trying to moderate my contact with my frenemies (mumbling monosaccharide and ditzy disaccharide) as they have caused diabetic shocks to my system.

Apple pie, sweet as they are; would consider to be healthier treat. As a person once told me (you know who you are) ‘It has fruit! It has to be healthy!’ So today I bring to you the recipe for warm apple pie. I used three kinds of apples (popo Granny Smith, the gorgeous Pink Lady and mister Fuji watanabe) which will give different apple flavors. Remember, to test your apples so you know how much sugar to add in. Although, I’m not a big fan of cinnamon but I heard that it helps prevent type 2 diabetes. So what the heck I added it in for the extra ‘healthiness’.


Apple Pie
Makes 12 mini pies

1 packet of Pampas: Puff Pastry
3 cups of apples
¼ cup sugar (add less sugar for extra tartness)
2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 large lemon (juice and rind)

egg wash

  1. Peel and slice apples (cubed if preferred).
  2. Add apples, sugar, lemon juice and rind in a bowl and set aside for 15 mins.
  3. Place roughly 2 tablespoon worth of apples onto pastry (each pastry slice makes 3 small pies)
  4. Fold pastry over the filling and crimp the edges using a fork. (Or for a more rustic look, pinch)
  5. Place onto baking tray lined with baking paper.
  6. Brush the top of the pastry with egg wash.
  7. Cut small incisions (to let off steam).
  8. Bake for 20mins at 220°C.
  9. Serve with ice cream or icing sugar (as it’s suppose to be ‘healthy’, I added nothing).
  10. Shove it into your pie hole

1 comment:

ceci said...

who is that person?!