Thursday, May 10, 2007

Apple me TOO

so i know victor made apple pie yesterday. But I was sitting at my dining table, looked to my left, and was reminded of the 5kg bag of apples that I bought three weeks ago. I thought I should check if they were still 'workable'. So I checked.



















And they were fine. So I went online to my frantic search for an easy peasy apple pie recipe. (you see, victor didn't give me any of that pie he made. so i wanted some too)
I tried using the frozen shortcrust pastry that i had the the freezer, but they looked off. so i made my own.

after a short wait ....

these super rustic looking apple pies were my result. I have not actuallly tasted them yet. But they smell really good. And they don't look half as good as Victor's. The one in this photo is the best looking ones... you should see the rest.

so you want MY recipe???







Shortcrust Apple Pie
makes 5 small pies

Shortcrust Pastry
2 1/2 cups (350 grams) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon (30 grams) granulated white sugar
1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into 1 inch (2.54 cm) pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup (60 - 120 ml) ice water

1. In a food processor, place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined.
2. Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal (about 15 seconds).
3. Pour 1/4 cup (60 ml) water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube until the dough
just holds together when pinched. If necessary, add more water. Do not process more than
30 seconds.
4. Turn the dough onto your work surface and gather into a ball.
5. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about one hour before using. This will chill the
butter and relax the gluten in the flour.
6. Dust your work surface with extra flour. Roll out your pastry and line your pastry tin. Fill
with apples. Cover with another layer of pastry. Bake for 30 minutes at 150degree celcius.


Apple Filling
5 tart peeled apples
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar

1. Peel and slice your apples.
2. Soak them in water with a tablespoon of lemon juice.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a seperate mixing bowl
4. Strain the apples and mix everything together.

3 comments:

ceci said...

I am so jealous...
I want to bake too...!!

The Pie Maker said...

American butter crust! I wanted to make that too but was too afraid it wouldn't turn out nice. Yours turned out really well :( i WANT a slice. I know its too early yo ask since both you and me would have had our share of apple pie but there is this bakery near my place and the apple looks really good.We should go!

Janice said...

we should!!... btw, i put to much salt into my crust.. so it tasted horrible!!!